Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Remedy is the Experience


I bet you know this song, but do you know the story behind it?
This video from Good Morning America shows an interview with Jason Mraz & one of his best friends, Charlie Mingroni. Charlie Mingroni was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma of the Collar Bone at the age of 20 & had to endure a rigorous course of Chemotherapy and Radiation. Charlie has been in remission since 2002. 

This song (particularly the first/second verse & chorus) tells a story, inspired by Charlie but told from the view of his best friend, of overcoming the dark times while keeping your eyes on the bigger picture. 
Watch from 0:01 - 3:00 for the story & 3:10 - 6:59 for the song.

Excerpt from Remedy (I Won't Worry) by Jason Mraz
"Well, I saw fireworks from the freeway and behind closed eyes I cannot make them go away
Cause you were born on the Fourth of July, freedom ring
But something on the surface it stinks
I said something on the surface,
Well it kind of makes me nervous
Who say that you deserve this?
And what kind of god would serve this?
We will cure this dirty old disease.
Well if you've got the poison, I've got the remedy.
The remedy is the experience.
This is a dangerous liaison.
I say the comedy is that it's serious.
Well this is a strange enough new play on words
I say the tragedy is how you're gonna spend the rest of your nights with the light on,
So shine the light on all of your friends 
When it all amounts to nothing in the end.
I won't worry my life away,
No, I won't worry my life away."

SOURCE: YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment